Friday, October 7, 2011

Tools of the Trade: Cutters...

In my bento supply cabinet, I have 2 kinds of cutters... Sandwich cutters and Cookie cutters.

Sandwich cutters are easy to find, for the most part. I have picked up these ones from Walmart, Target, and Albertsons. They're at pretty much every grocery store:

From Instant Upload
The downside to these is that sometimes they don't fit well into the long, skinny bento boxes. The hearts and butterfly do okay, but the other two require a more square container.

I also have this sandwich cutter, which I like better for bentos. I have seen other variations on this idea, but none that have been easy for me to come by, so this is what I have. =D
From Instant Upload
It cuts 3 animal faces and a heart at the same time. I would like to get more of these. I don't often use sandwiches in my bentos, though, so I don't know if it would be worth the investment. 

As for cookie cutters, I have some bento-specific cookie cutters that I bought at Daiso. They're really nothing special, though. 
From Instant Upload
Maybe my FAVORITE cookie cutters right now are the new cutters I got. They're spring loaded pie crust cutters from Norpro and I originally thought I could use them for sandwiches. I've found, though, that they work GREAT for stacks of sliced cheese!

I also have picked up cutters designed for fondant in the Wilton cake decorating section. Honestly, I rarely use these, but I thought they were cute!


From Instant Upload

Pretty much any small cookie cutter will work for bentos, as long as it doesn't have any teeny tiny intricate spots for food to get stuck and break off. Here's more of my collection...


From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload

Metal cutters are perhaps the nicest, because they cut easily through meat and vegetables. 
From Instant Upload
I store my bento supplies in clear shoebox size containers in the bento cabinet. Some of my smaller cookie cutter sets I group together in small containers to keep the pieces together. Everything else gets tossed in randomly.

From Instant Upload

No comments:

Post a Comment